A message from the MBTA on the accelerated capital improvements that will take place this year:
“The MBTA seeks to provide reliable service to our customers. We acknowledge that we have fallen short of that goal at times over the previous few months. Our customers have been delayed and inconvenienced. We can and must do better.
On Monday, we will announce a number of accelerated capital projects, in keeping with Governor Baker’s plan from earlier this summer to accelerate capital construction projects.
We will use additional weekend shutdowns on the Green, Red, and Orange Lines to complete projects earlier than planned. By using these additional shutdowns on the weekends, we will improve safety, service delivery, and customer experience.
Accelerated projects on the Green Line will allow us to:
· Upgrade 30 intersections where passengers’ vehicles cross our tracks on the B and C branch.
· Replace 7,000 feet of track on the B and C branches.
Accelerated projects on the Red Line will allow us to:
· Improve customer experience by upgrading wayfinding signage, lighting, painting.
· Enhance reliability by replacing 900 feet of track inside of Park street, and Downtown Crossing stations.
Accelerated projects on the Orange Line will allow us to:
· Improve reliability by replacing 2,250 feet of track inside Downtown Crossing.
· Enhance customer experience by replacing over 500 wayfinding signs, improving lighting, painting.
Attached you will find more details about our upcoming work and associated diversions.I look forward to partnering with all of you towards Building a Better T. As always if you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me or my Director of Special Projects, Angel Donahue-Rodriguez, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-981-5664.”